Wednesday 2 April 2014

evaluation (edu-tainment project)

this is the evaluation of my edutainment project, in this project I had to create an educational game for kids, containing content of my choice, however it had to link back to giving some sort of education to children. after 6 weeks of research, designing and actually creating something, I believe that this project it finally complete, I have shown my game to others and they believe adding more to it would make it better, however I believe it is fine as it is as it IS  short game, and there isn't a lot you can teach children about prime numbers, especially at an early age such as 7 years old, the more detailed information about prime numbers is given when you are at least doing A levels, so what I did seems to be fine for now.

My game (as said above) was to teach kids about prime numbers, which I believe is a very easy subject, yet it was quite difficult to try and think of questions to ask for such a topic, as there isn't a lot you could ask, so I believe that the 4 questions in which I included where enough for people to comprehend properly at what a prime number is, not only that but I did include an explanation of what a prime number is at the beginning and the end of the game, also subtle hints throughout the game, which corrects them if they get a previous question wrong etc. I also added a restart button and answers to the game to make it seem more like a game and people can keep replaying the game to know what exactly prime numbers are and so they know if they got all the answers right, there was meant to be a scoring system, however! Construct 2 messed up on me as I was working and so I had to restart my entire game, so it didn’t come out as great as it was before, and so the scoring system was also removed. A menu was added to make it seem more game like too.

I would say doing the designs for this project was quite a task as you had quite a lot to think about, such as the topic, what kind of designs are you going to use for the: text, back ground, characters (optional) etc., also creating 3 finalised ideas wasn’t such an easy thing either, trying to come up with the right design, topics and questions for each of the 3 finalised ideas was tricky, especially since they all had to be different and science and English are not my strongest subjects. For the research I mainly wrote about what I knew, I have played many educational games when I was younger so I know what a lot of them are like and what people do to make the educational games so popular with kids, which I think is to make it seem fun by adding cool characters, or bright colours everywhere, this kind of thing attracts the attention of children and it is all bright and colourful and reminds us of cartoons in a way, so it attracts attention.

Overall I believe the project was okay, it wasn’t my favourite, I do believe trying to create a game on construct 2 wasn’t the best thing, as I am not a fan of construct 2 due to the fact it’s not really easy to understand/ use and also it keeps breaking, (whether I just can’t use it/ I have bad luck, or the software is just terrible all together) I would not use it ever again it is just horrible, however I did manage to make a game in the end after a lot of struggling, and I seemed to get a lot of positive feedback about my game, which is a bonus!. The design work was okay, it did take me a while to decide on 3 final concepts and also finalizing my ideas into one major concept, which is initially the game I created.

Here is the feedback I got from my game, the questions are written in black and the answers are in the many different colours, each colour represents a different person who viewed/ played my game, this feedback is to help me later on in the future, for if I ever create another educational game (hopefully I don’t have to).























I had only asked very simple questions for my game but it did give me all the information I was looking for which was great, I mainly asked if the game was actually education( the whole point of the project is to ACTUALLY make a working EDUCATIONAL game, meaning it has to actually teach us something, which I achieved looking at the answers I also asked what aspects people liked the most, and it seemed that the design was very popular with people and the fact that people were able to answer each question, this means my game works fully without any problems, I then continued to ask if there was anything I could improve, the popular topic was to make the game longer, however as i stated earlier,  I don't think there are any more questions I can add to the game to make it longer as there is only so much you can do with such a topic. Also a score system was mentioned, last time I tried to put in a scoring system, it messed up, so I am hoping to avoid it for now. Next I continued to ask whether or not it was suitable for kids, those who tested my game seemed to think it was, seeing as there was nothing inappropriate in my game or no difficult/ long words, kids will be able to comprehend everything the game says.  I later asked if the design was okay for the game, whether it seemed like a suitable choice



No comments:

Post a Comment